Quantcast

Fashions tavik

Published on January 21st, 2015 | by Greg

0

Tavik: SoCal Beach Lifestyle, Anywhere!

The trouble with Southern California style is that it can be pretty limited in terms of geographic area. There aren’t many places, after all, where you can expect to wear board shorts, sleeveless t-shirts, and flip-flops on a regular basis. But even in the frigid Northeast winter, there are plenty of elements that can work, and the trick is to find a way to accessorize, avoid relying totally on swimwear while offering a collection that still calls to mind sunshine, sand, and the sea.

Tavik is a fashion brand that has grown rapidly, and now offers a broad line of men and women’s apparel with a modern take on classics, with an emphasis on solids, easy-on-the-eyes colors and timeless designs. There aren’t any loud prints or anything too extreme, and Tavik brings a surprisingly and consistently classy, youthful, feel to a few staple items that we’ve been wearing around the city. The company also has you covered for iPhone and iPad cases and even headwear, but we’ll focus on a the fabric sort of wearables for now.

No matter where you are, winds and rains can cause a chill. That’s why the Tavik Howard Fleece is so handy- it’s a perfect weight and heft to help you warm up after a swim, or prevent you from getting too cold when you’re running down to the store in a heavy breeze. The collegiate appearance is thanks at least part to the nice stitching around the pockets and the dark-colored sleeves which contrast with the heather grey for the main body. There’s just a little bit of elastic around wrists and waist to help keep out those winds, and the material feels soft to the touch. Fit seemed true-to-size, and the jacket was comfortable. A few more color options might be nice, and the collar could have been a little thicker or taller, but the Howard Fleece is a great piece for anyone looking for a durable, mid-weight layer. Available directly for around $79.

The Tavik Hills Chino pants address some of those issues, thanks to a great variety of colors (with a lot of interesting names). We’ve been wearing a fairly traditional shade, but for those feeling more adventurous there are a rusty orange, a vetiver green, and the cool blue jetty. Almost completely cotton, they wove in a bit of elastane for some stretch, and we definitely appreciated the material. The fit, though, was more problematic- slim and slightly tapered, which was fine, but also a single-size fit without separate measurements for waist and length, leading to awkwardness for many. If you are a straight 32/32, 34/34, etc, then these will be fine- but otherwise, expect them to be a bit too long or short, wide or narrow. Tavik’s Hills Chinos are available, for around $62.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑