Quantcast

all tw50_-_tilley_travel_blazer

Published on October 14th, 2012 | by Greg

0

Tilley Times Two: Gorgeous Jackets For The City And Beyond

To para­phrase a quote: “You can tell a man by the coat he choos­es”. Few gar­ments are quite as vis­i­ble as a jack­et, and few oth­ers need to be quite so durable, hold­ing up against the el­e­ments, ne­glect­ful treat­ment, and in­fre­quent clean­ing. And to­day’s com­pa­ny is a brand you might not be fa­mil­iar with, of­fer­ing gear that’s made in Cana­da, and orig­i­nal­ly just­ly fa­mous for their hats. Not just any hat, ei­ther- theirs comes with an own­er’s man­u­al and an in­sur­ance pol­i­cy, and the one we test­ed years ago con­tin­ues to hold up in­cred­i­bly well. But they make much more than head­wear, and so we were anx­ious to try out two of their men’s jack­ets, one a stylish blaz­er and the oth­er a wa­ter­proof hood­ed jack­et.

We’ll start with the City Col­lec­tion Trav­el Blaz­er from Tilley En­durables. Avail­able in two col­ors, navy or tan, ours was the for­mer, and we should start up front by say­ing that we wish all jack­ets had lin­ing as sharp-look­ing. This one is a two-but­ton de­sign, with what they call a notched col­lar (it looks tra­di­tion­al), but fea­tures a pret­ty straight and nar­row cut that stretch­es just a bit. Siz­ing seemed close to true- we tried on a 38 (they of­fer up to a 52, and even tall ver­sions)- and the neck, waist, and jack­et length were good, though the arms could’ve been a bit tighter and. The in­clud­ed book­let, ti­tled “For Your Eyes On­ly” and more on that in a bit, states that they used ac­tu­al mea­sure­ments of deities for the pro­por­tions. Mean­ing that ap­par­ent­ly some of us here are sized like Greek gods, in­clud­ing the fair­ly long arms. There was plen­ty of room to move around,- this isn’t a slim fit, con­strain­ing jack­et, but one meant for re­al-world use out and about be­yond the con­fer­ence table. It’s not quite dressy enough for the board­room, but isn’t too dressy to wear to just about any oc­ca­sion, or even just ca­su­al­ly to add a bit of class to your wardrobe.

One pret­ty amaz­ing fea­ture that sets this blaz­er apart: the num­ber of pock­ets. Nine pock­ets- and we count­ed ‘em!- give you plen­ty of space for items big and small. In a cute twist, eight of them we can tell you about, but we were strict­ly for­bid­den from men­tion­ing the where­abouts of the last se­cret pock­et. For bet­ter and worse, the three front pock­ets all have vel­cro clo­sures to help pro­tect their con­tents. That’s great to pro­tect against light fin­gers, but means you’ll be mak­ing noise when you try to qui­et­ly si­lence your cell­phone at the con­cert. Or, of course, you could just use any of the sev­er­al oth­er pock­ets, like the four main ones in­side that al­so se­cure with but­tons (and are well-de­signed so that the clo­sure match­es the lin­ing). That’s sev­en of them, and the eighth was hard to find- a pen pock­et, very nar­row and un­usu­al in our ex­pe­ri­ence, on the in­te­ri­or left, out­side of the lin­ing. And the ninth is clev­er­ly hid­den… well, you’ll have to buy one of these to find out.

We liked the fab­ric quite a bit- wrin­kle re­sis­tant, it didn’t show much wear even af­ter be­ing thrown in a pile at a par­ty. The fab­ric has al­so help­ful­ly been treat­ed with stain and spill-re­sis­tant fin­ish for easy spot clean­ing, though luck­i­ly we didn’t end up need­ing to use it. It held up well to a quick fall show­er, though cer­tain­ly isn’t a rain­coat. And stitch­ing is top-notch, with nary an is­sue over a month of wear. In this price range, though, we had high ex­pec­ta­tions- but luck­i­ly this Tilley gar­ment met and ex­ceed­ed them all. The best blaz­er we’ve seen, this one does cred­it to the Tilly mot­to- “Goes With Any­where”. Avail­able on­line for $325, from Tilly di­rect­ly, though some of their line is avail­able from in­de­pen­dent lo­cal re­tail­ers as well.

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑